The Plenipotentiary Conference of the Pan African Postal Union (PAPU), held its 10th ordinary session in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe from 24th to 25th June, 2021.
The opening session was presided over by the President of the Republic of Zimbabwe, His Excellency Dr. Emmerson Dambudzo Mnangagwa.
The following PAPU members participated in the Conference:
Angola, Algeria, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Chad, Côte d’Ivoire, DR Congo, Egypt, Ethiopia, Eswatini; Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
The following member states were absent: Central African Republic, Comoros, Congo Republic, Eritrea, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Lesotho, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Somalia, and Togo.
Participating as observers were the following countries, organizations, and institutions: ATU, AUC, UPU, CRASA, EACO, SAPOA, WAPCO, PUASP, Argentina, Belgium, China, France, Japan, Switzerland, Russia, Ukraine and USA.
The Plenipotentiary Conference elected the following Bureau:
Chairman – Zimbabwe
1st Vice Chair – Algeria
2nd Vice Chair – Nigeria
Rapporteurs: – Chad and Burundi
During this session, the Plenipotentiary Conference considered the following key agenda items:
- Official opening Ceremony;
- Meeting of Heads of Delegation;
- Confirmation of quorum;
- Adoption of the Agenda and Work programme;
- Election and installation of the members of the new bureau;
- Remarks of incoming Chairperson;
- Quadrennial activity report of the outgoing Plenipotentiary Conference Chairperson;
- Provisional report of the Ad-hoc Credentials Committee;
- Quadrennial activity report of the Secretary-General (2016-2021);
- Quadrennial activity report of the Administrative Council Chairperson (2016-2021);
- Consideration and adoption of Themes of Pan African Post Days Celebration for the period 2022-2025;
- Consideration and approval of Quadrennial Programme of Activities for the period 2021/2022 – 2024/2025;
- Consideration and fixing of the ceilings of the Quadrennial Budget for the period 2021/2022 – 2024/2025 and Scale of Assessment for Member States/Associate Members mandatory financial contributions;
- Consideration and approval of the audited financial statements of the Union for the period 2015/2016 to 2019/2020;
- 27th UPU Congress Issues ;
- Consideration and approval of Provisional Agreements concluded by the Union;
- Final Report of the Ad-hoc Credentials Committee;
- Election of Members of PAPU Administrative Council;
- Election of the Secretary General and the Assistant Secretary General;
- Oath Taking of Elected officers;
- Date and venue of the next Ordinary session of the Plenipotentiary Conference;
During the proceedings, the Plenipotentiary Conference made key decisions and resolutions including the election of the Secretary General and Assistant Secretary General as follows:
Secretary General: Mr. Sifundo Chief Moyo (Zimbabwe)
Assistant Secretary General: Ms. Jessica Uwera Hope (Uganda)
The Republic of Niger offered to host the 11th Ordinary Session of the Plenipotentiary Conference.